Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Body, Italy, Baking

1. Today was "family day" with the Parents. My mom got us tickets to an exhibit at the Tech museum in downtown called "Body Worlds". This German doctor invented this method called plasticity which preserves the human body. In his displays, he shows the muscles, skeleton, and nerves all preserved in their natural state. Various organs and bones are on display which you can see in their various states from birth to old age. I know it sounds a little creepy and at first I was like, "Huh??", but it was actually a very fascinating and educational exhibit. This guy has brought science to a higher level and there's so much more possibilities we can see and learn from this kind of preservation. Check it out if you can!

2. After, we went to dinner at this Italian restaurant owned by this guy from the Tuscany area of Italy. The outside is beautiful walking up with vines and small fountain out front. Inside the place is very dimly lit so that you can barely see. The theme of vines and paintings of Italy are all throughout the restaurant with brick flooring and wooden chairs and tables. This is a very upscale expensive place with delicious food! When we first arrived, I thought it would be just like any other Italian restaurant catering to the American palate. However, I couldn't understand our waiter too well due to his VERY thick Italian accent nor could I understand the owner with the combination of English and Italian he was speaking. The waiter grew up near the same village where my grandfather was from so I thought that was cool. I figured this was about as authentic as you can get! The food was very authentic and prepared in a way that I had never seen before. My mom has visited Italy before and she said this was the same kind of food she had while she stayed there. I would love to go back there again someday!

3. I got the last of my baking done for Xmas. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with the leftovers but I think I can find some hungry friends who would want it :)

No comments: