Sunday, July 22, 2007

Good Day

1. We have a lady at the retirement home who had a stroke not too long ago. She's in a wheelchair and her mind is fully functional. I love it when this lady comes into the restaurant. She's the cutest little thing. The problem is that the stoke left her paralyzed on her right side so she's forced to use her left hand to eat (she's right-handed). Also, she can't speak at all. Ordering and trying to understand her needs and wants becomes frustrating for us servers. She spends many days crying out of frustration because she can't communicate what she wants. Writing takes forever since she has no choice but to use her left hand.

Today, her friend and her son came and they were seated my section. Since I'm used to her, I know what she likes to order and how to prepare it. Even though my conversations are minimal with this lady (yes/no questions and answers) I feel like we have a connection. I can't explain it but it's just a feeling. For dessert, I decided to write out everything we offer and gave her the list. I told her when she was ready for dessert to just point to what she wanted to let me know. The look on her face was something I will never forget. You could see tears in her eyes from happiness. I felt good knowing that I did something to make her day a little easier.

I see this lady almost everyday I work. Her life what used to be easy is now difficult for her. I know that in time when I reach her age, I may end up the same way. I feel fortunate to be able to communicate with people easily, that I can walk and don't need a wheelchair, that I have full mobility of legs and arms, and that I can come and go as I please. These are things I think we take for granted in our life and I'm glad to still be young.

2. I wore my hair in two pigtails at work just for fun. I got a lot of compliments from the residents and teased by my co-workers. Even though it made me look like I was 11yrs old, I would do it all over again just to make me feel like a kid again.

3. I stayed away from the restaurant food tonight and brought a lunch from home. Trying to eat more healthy since I tend to eat non-stop crap there!

No comments: